Wednesday 28 April 2010

...ladies and gentlemen, welcome to thunderdome..I mean, velodrome!

Since my last post, I have done two things: 1)I went to see 'Whip It' at the cinema and 2) I've been skating every day for at least 30 minutes, in an attempt to get my confidence up and get rid of the wobbles that have been plaguing me.

So first, the film. I really enjoyed it, although I did think it was a film I would have LOVED had a been a few years younger. The derby action was fun, fast and furious (although any fighting would quickly get you sent to the penalty box, which didn't seem to happen much in the film!) and Juliette Lewis was a great nemesis in the form of Iron Maven. I did irk me slightly that Bliss only fell about twice, and was then whizzing around the track- nothing like real life! However, I don't think anyone would want to watch endless falling and wobbling as Bliss learns to skate- and it would make the film too damn long.

As for the skating...I've noticed a little improvement in my confidence. It no longer takes me 10 minutes of fear and wobbling before I feel ok on 8 wheels, and I can now move slightly faster than your average hedgehog. Tonight though, it all gets in to an entirely new world of terror- the Brawler girls are skating at the velodrome. For those not in the know, the velodrome is huge. Like quarter of a mile every lap huge. Since my preferred method of stopping is still hugging the wall, this fills me with dread. I figure I have two choices: a) put my knee pads to the test and fall like a lady or b) bail out in to the grass (at least that will be softer, although definitely less dignified!). I will post later and let you know how it goes...

On a positive note, Sunday's training is going to be lead by one of the ladies from Manchester's own Rainy City Rollergirls...I'm so very, very excited! It'll be great to be taught by a pro who has played in bouts...and also remembers what it's like to be a bambi on rollerskates. I've been looking at the riedell website today, and I now how extreme skate envy. Think I know how I'm going to be spending my bond cheque...

No comments:

Post a Comment